Megalo Livadi, Serifos

The village Megalo Livadi at the southwest part of Serifos

Megalo Livadi village with the sandy beach and the mines facilities

The settlement has been founded in 1880 and it is located at the southwestern side of Serifos in the homonymous bay and has known a big economic acme during the period when the mines used to operate till 1963, when the mines closed.

During the period of the settlement’s acme there was a Chemical Laboratory, schools, a police station, grocery stores, bakeries, tailor’s shops, shoemaker’s shops and houses, some of which still exist but they are now abandoned. At the edge of the coast there is still a neoclassic building (of the Tsiller’s school) with big palms, which used to house the seat of the mine company "Serifos-Spilialeza".

Next to the company’s offices there is the memorial of the heroes, reminding the bloody revolt of the mines’ workers in 1916, which is an integral part of the island’s history. In the small settlement there is the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, with remarkable frescos dating from the 17th century.

Across the bay, at Almyros, there is the metallic mine loading-unloading ladder that has been built in 1932 and which attracts the visitor to come and take a closer look. When arriving there, the visitor shall see the wagons, the rails, building ruins and other machines that were once used for the mining works.

After the loading ladder, the wagons and the building ruins, the visitor can walk on the rocks or take a boat and get to the springs. It’s about two small rooms built of stones, in the interior of which there is a spring of reddish lukewarm water with healing qualities. The buildings have been constructed by the mines’ manager, Groman and all the workers who were having health problems used to go there to cure.

Today, except for some houses that are inhabited mainly during the summer, there is a private rock exhibition place which is housed where the old school used to be, two taverns, rooms to let, and a wonderful beach with sand and tamarisks which offer generously their shadow.

The building of the headquarters of the mine company, at Megalo Livadi

Gallery

The beach at Megalo Livadi as seen from the mines facilities Megalo Livadi beach in Serifos The beach at Megalo Livadi The beach and the mine galleries at the area of Megalo Livadi The entrance at the mine facilities at Megalo Livadi The metallic mine loading-unloading ladder at Megalo Livadi The building of the headquarters of the mine company, at Megalo Livadi Miners' galleries at Megalo Livadi The marble memorial dedicated to the strikers of the mines The Cave of the Cyclops and Megalo Livadi

About e-serifos.com

Privacy Policy
Terms and conditions

Contact information

Contact e-serifos
Webmaster

*Product Disclaimer: Information on listed products and services are provided by the operator and were correct at the time of publishing. Rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available prices of products and services. Please visit the operator’s website for further information. All prices quoted are in Euro (€). E-serifos makes no representations whatsoever about any other websites which you may access through this website. Some websites which are linked to the e-serifos website are independent from e-serifos and are not under the control of e-serifos. E-serifos does not endorse or accept any responsibility for the use of websites which are owned or operated by third parties and makes no representation or warranty in relation to the standard, class or fitness for purpose of any services, nor does it endorse or in any respect warrant any products or services by virtue of any information, material or content linked from or to this site.

Top